[thelist] authorize.net issues

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Wed Jan 9 11:17:36 CST 2008

Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone has been having problems with authorize.net
lately. Here is what has happened to me in the last week or two-

1. I was testing my payment integration with authnet, and I got the response
that the server was having some kind of problem, please try again in a few
minutes. I continued to get this message for 45 minutes, when I gave up and
went out to do errands for an hour. It was working when I got back. This
doesn't seem to bode well for real transactions! What if that had happened
to a customer?

2. I needed to ask them some questions yesterday, the wait would have been
44 minutes, so I chose the option to have them call me back when it was my
'turn'. I know I entered the correct phone number because they read it back
to you and allow you to fix it. They NEVER returned the call. In the past
they have returned the call, although WAY past the time they took you it
would take.

3. We want the option of ARB (automatically recurring billing) and I was
setting it up the way I set up the one time payment through the gateway,
using an ARB class, blah, blah blah, but I just found out that to set up ARB
with a new client, you have to log in to your authnet account and create a
new ARB subscription  on the back end first. Is this state of the art, or
are there any payment gateway companies where you can submit automatically
without it being work on the back end? What if we were getting thousands of
new clients a month??

4. This is a simple, unrelated and somewhat off topic questions. I am
generating the credit card expiration date automatically. How many years do
you need to go out? 5 years? More?

TIA
Nan