[thelist] PHP - Making All Links Unique (even to same page)

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Jan 16 02:41:08 CST 2008

Hi Mark

I can see the value to the marketing folks in knowing exactly which link a
site visitor moves through. However, if each link goes to a different URL,
there's a more than fair chance that the search engines will identify them
as different pages.

This means that the authority of any one page is diluted, since the search
engines see it as X different pages, where X is your number of internal
links to it. Also, it's likely that these "multiple pages" will be given a
duplicate content penalty, resulting in only one of them, chosen very nearly
at random, showing up in the search engines.

Further, assuming traffic comes in from search engines and bookmarks, those
will still carry the identification of the originating page that they were
indexed or bookmarked from. And people placing links to your site may well
include those as well.

All that said, we do something similar with internal banners, but I'd be
very hesitant to apply it to all links.

Drew.