[thelist] Marking up words in colours

r937 rudy at r937.com
Sat Jan 19 16:02:07 CST 2008

> ... think about what information you're conveying with colour and
investigate whether it's possible to model with semantic mark-up.

but he said what that was --

"OK, let me say that every letter or group of letters on the page
will need to be coloured one way or another. Imagine it's a kiddies
reading book and we want them to be able to tell the difference between
an 'h' that sounds like the h in 'hi' from the silent h in "light", and
for that matter, the silent g. Perhaps silent letters are in a different
colour."

so clearly, the letter or group of letters is the important datum

so, put opening and closing tags around the instances of these data

here "tag" could be SPAN or whatever (but please, not FONT)

the fact that the letters combine to form english words is perceived by
recognizing/parsing the intervening white space between words

it is the importance of distinguishing between letters and groups of letters
that determines where the semantic markup takes place

simple, really

;o)