[thelist] domain name change/forwarding

Chris Anderson Chris at activeide.com
Sun Jan 27 17:52:52 CST 2008

> We've settled on a shorter domain name (six characters vs. 24) but
> there
> are links out there in the world (others' blog comments, etc.) like
> this:
>
>     http://CommonsenseEntrepreneur.com/ce/archive/2007/09/#amazon
>
> which will point to an obsolete location on my server in eleven months
> or so. I'll still own the domain name, but plan on doing some thorough
> rearranging under the new domain name.
>
> Any suggestions for making these bounce/redirect to a new location?
> which in this case would be

At the very least, respond with a 301 (Moved Permanently) HTTP error,
redirecting the browser to the new URL.

This will let other agents (spiders, etc) update their links (so google
links will be updated quicker, etc), but will allow "permanent" links
(such as those in email archives, etc) to cause redirections.

Chris