[thelist] MySQL Storage Engine Choices or Are Foreign Key

r937 rudy at r937.com
Mon Jan 28 16:01:50 CST 2008

> What kinds of bugaboos will I be letting myself in for if I choose to
use the MyISAM engine, and thus to enforce the foreign key constraints
in the business logic, since the MyISAM engine doesn't support them?
Is this standard practice for MySQL developers?

you'll be fine

it isn't "standard practice" as much as it is a fact of life

would you generally categorize application developers as a group of people
who pay close attention to adhering to standards because doing so is the
optimum strategy for the organization in the long run, or who look for a way
to get the frigging job done by friday, the odds of which improve
dramatically if they don't have to dot all the i's and cross all the t's the
way that power-hungry petty tyrant in the DBA department wants them to?

advice on choice of engine: innodb

and don't forget to declare your foreign keys

rudy
http://r937.com/