[thelist] MySQL oddness

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Jan 29 10:05:42 CST 2008

Jeremy Weiss asked:

> BTW, rule #1 of writing decent SQL: Never use SELECT * This causes

>>Does this rule apply even if you do need every column in a table?

Hi Jeremy,

I would say 'Yes'.  It is a good habit to get into and, when you start
getting into multi-developer, multi-dba, multi-system environments it
can save you a fair amount of future maintenance because your x-year old
legacy app won't suddenly break just because some [well meaning
individual] inserted a new column in the middle of that table.

HTH,
RonL.