[thelist] sql de-doupe

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Feb 2 04:45:56 CST 2008

SELECT
        Model,
        MIN(Category)
FROM
        YourTable
GROUP BY
        Model
HAVING
        COUNT(Model) > =1

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Brian Cummiskey
Sent: Saturday, 2 February 2008 8:53 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] sql de-doupe

Ken Schaefer wrote:
> The basic problem is that in your set of sample records, you have no duplicates.
>
> I assume that you mean that the "model" values are duplicated? For each duplicate model record, which category record do you wish to keep?
>
> If you can just list (a) your starting record set and (b) your final record set, it usually becomes trivial to write some SQL to do what you want.
>
> Cheers
> Ken

Hi Ken,

Perhaps i wasn't clear :)

The category is not necessary/important, so i'm simply taking the first
one via the top 1 command.   There are 20-odd other fields to the right
as well which don't matter much.

Out of those 4, I need:

modelA  whatever_cat_comes_first
modelB  whatever_cat_comes_first