[thelist] Architecture for arbitrary data management

r937 rudy at r937.com
Fri Feb 29 09:03:05 CST 2008

> Basically, I'm trying to design a system which can cope with storing
> a fairly arbitrary set of key:value pairs, but which can quickly
> retrieve subsets of them based on complex queries as in any RDBMS.

be very careful, this is a slippery slope and you will end up frustrated and
in tears, because retrieval is very complicated and anything but quick

Dave's guide to the EAV

OTLT and EAV: the two big design mistakes all beginners make

One True Lookup Table (by Joe Celko)

Lookup Table Madness

Do not use Generic Data Models