[thelist] Architecture for arbitrary data management

Joe Flintham list at menticulture.com
Fri Feb 29 18:36:33 CST 2008

r937 wrote:
> sounds like you can encapsulate/instantiate/disambiguate (choose the
> programming terminology du jour here) the template specs into a good old sql
> CREATE TABLE statement, such that each template is a separate table, with
> regular old columns, with specific column names and datatypes...
>
> shouldn't be all that hard to accomplish

agreed, but thinking ahead to a year ahead, when there are, say 30 such
tables, built around their corresponding templates:

say 8 of those 30 tables contain fields such as 'latitude' and
'longitude', and the users wish to build an app in, say, Google Earth,
using those 8 specific objects.  I can build a query based on the
template definitions (probably stored in XML files), which will then
return the data from 8 different tables.

Is that still better than going for the short term cost of storing all
latitude and longitude data in their own table from the get-go?  (And by
extension, all the other attributes they may wish to build on down the
line...).  This latter route would effectively write the template
definitions into the relational nature of the tables themselves.

Thanks again :)

Joe