[thelist] Linux n00b problem

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Mon Mar 3 02:22:31 CST 2008

Hi Paul,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:38:14 +1300, "Paul Bennett"
<Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:
> You're right - it is an unfair assumption to make based on my one-time
> experience.
> It does, however, work for me right here, right now,  and will hopefully
> give me a good entry point into using Linux on a fulltime basis.

Glad to hear you've decided to have a go at Linux. Once I had installed it,
there was no going back for me.

Personally, I've used both Ubuntu and SUSE, and I've found both to be very
newbie-friendly. Both are very good distros, and have a good balance
between new-to-linux and sysadmin abilities.

That said and done, Ubuntu does seem to work better out-of-the-box than
SUSE (I've come across some pretty weird things with SUSE where Ubuntu just
worked). These days I use Kubuntu, which gives me the same ease-of-use as
Ubuntu, with the KDE environment.

--
Raoul Snyman
Saturn Laboratories