[thelist] Ubuntu - installing packages from cd

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Tue Mar 4 02:16:17 CST 2008

Hi Paul,

I'm going to reply to the list, so that everyone else who wants to do what
you're doing can benefit from my reply.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:44:08 +1300, "Paul Bennett"
<Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:
> Probably more appropriate to reply offlist .. Can someone give me some
> clues as to how I can install extra packages (apache, php, mysql etc)
from
> an Ubuntu CD?
> I've added the cd to repositories in Synaptic but nothing seems to show.
Make sure that after you have added the CD repository that you reload the
repositories. This is so that Synaptic (or Adept) is brought up to speed
with all the software available to it. Also make sure that you're adding
the "Alternate CD", not the "Desktop CD". The desktop CD is not a
repository CD (what the installer does in essence is to copy the CD onto
your hard drive as is).

> Using Ubuntu 6.
6? 6.06 or 6.10? Remember, Ubuntu's versioning scheme is [year].[month], so
the latest version of Ubuntu was released in October 2007, so it's version
number is 7.10. Don't get confused with the proprietary versioning system,
they just use version numbers to make their products sound better (when was
the last time you upgraded MS Office because the new version contained a
feature that you needed?).

> (bonus marks for letting me know if I can upgrade from 6 to 7 using a cd
> and not needing apt-get and an internet connection....)
Very easy. I do it all the time. You need to download the Alternate CD (as
I mentioned before), and then I'm told that if you just pop it in, it will
automatically start the upgrade. Just remember that you have to upgrade
version by version. 6.06 -> 6.10 -> 7.04 -> 7.10
If that doesn't work, you need to remount your CD in "exec" mode, and then
run the upgrade script in the root of the CD.

> Any help welcome, my searches have failed so far.
Searching is a skill ;-) You need to know how to formulate your search
queries well, choosing the correct keywords.

--
Raoul Snyman
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za