[thelist] Multilingual content on one page

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:59:32 CDT 2008

List,

How would one go about this situation?

For a webshop targeted at a multicultural customer base, our client does not
have the resources to translate the entire shop in every language, so it
will be in Dutch, English and German (for now). However, the product
descriptions *are* available in more languages.

The product overview page will have a link at the bottom for each of those
languages, that allows the user to view the product description in that
language. Now, this language might be in a completely different character
set than the rest of the page (i.e. a Russian product description will need
a different charset to allow the user to view it properly).

The plan is to use a hidden DIV for each language, hide all those with
JavaScript, and show them upon request (by default showing the description
in the global site language, if available). Clicking the link for a specific
language will show that DIV and hide the other.

I know <div charset="koi8-r"> is invalid, but is there something similar
that may be used short of using an IFRAME with a different content-type
header?

Thanks,

Rick.