[thelist] Multilingual content on one page

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:52:27 CDT 2008

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> >  I know <div charset="koi8-r"> is invalid, but is there something
similar

> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#adef-lang>

Thanks, but does that work when the target language uses characters that are
not in the document's charset?

If the root document uses ISO-8859-1, would using <div lang="ru*"> expand to
allow for the Russian alphabet? Or vice versa, let's say our client gets his
entire site translated into Russian, and the page uses KOI8-R by default,
would <div lang="zh*"> work for the Chinese product description?

Thanks,
Rick.

*: I'm not sure these are the correct language codes, just an example. I
think they're right, though.