[thelist] Hide entire directory from search engines?

Gersten, John JGERSTEN at lchb.com
Fri Mar 28 17:08:01 CDT 2008

It's not specific crawlers/bots I'm worried about; I need to stick some "include" content somewhere, and if I put it "above" the site root (which I realize is optimal for security, etc.) then my paths get long, plus there are some issues of convenience in terms of creating the pages that pull toward a "downward" location. So while I'm happy to have the crawlers find and index the pages using the pulled content, I don't want to confuse things by having the material show up twice as far as the bots are concerned. Does that make sense?

I have a feeling I'll end up moving the content above the site root in the end, but I was hoping for something to support what is essentially my construction-laziness.