[thelist] Print Style Sheet question

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Tue Apr 1 21:18:34 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 01 April 2008 17:34:20 Donald Pasewark wrote:
> .... inherited a
> transitional website created with tables and CSS styles for text. The
> client wants to be able to print these pages. The table width is 900
> pixels and will bleed off the page if sent to the printer as is.
>
> I need to figure out the best way to "print page" with out
> restructuring the whole website. Will a CSS print style sheet be able
> to solve this problem?

Most likely you will be able to do it with a print style sheet, can't say for
sure without seeing the actual html though...

With any luck, you can add an id or class name to TD cells that aren't
required for printing such as the navigation (if it's down the left side of
the page for instance) with the style declaration display:none to lessen the
width for example.

You'll likely have to change the size of something, so any of the existing
table markup that has width=xx included probably will need to be deleted and
controlled with the style sheet and id/class names instead.

Here's a starting point:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
--
cheers,