[thelist] What is the best IDE / RAD for PHP?

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:06:00 CDT 2008

Sales @ Lycosa scribeva in 2008-04-02 09:22:
> I am considering upgrading to a new IDE / RAD for PHP. I currently use an
> *OLD* version of HomeSite, and need more debugging tools. I need to build
> and test locally, then upload to my web server.
>
> I would like to know what people are currently using, and how you rate them.

I've been using (on both WinXP and Linux) Eclipse PDT[0] with Xdebug[1]
(both free).  I'd rate it something like 9/10 - very good to work with
after some initial tweaking.

If you'd like to pay for your IDE, you might want to consider Zend
Studio[2] (also based on Eclipse). Other Eclipse based IDEs include
Aptana[3] and PHPEclipse[4]. These I haven't tried.

I used to use PHPEdit[5] (not free). It was good too.

.k

[0]http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/
[1]http://xdebug.org/
[2]http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/