[thelist] What is the best IDE / RAD for PHP?

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:19:47 CDT 2008

Sales @ Lycosa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering upgrading to a new IDE / RAD for PHP. I currently use an
> *OLD* version of HomeSite, and need more debugging tools. I need to build
> and test locally, then upload to my web server.
>
> I would like to know what people are currently using, and how you rate them.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil Parker

I've used Zend, Eclipse with PDT, PhpEd and Aptana each for over a year
and here are my thoughts:

1. PhpEd (9/10): Pros - Fast running, debugging that works smoothly out
of the box, excellent code hinting, php api and javadoc support,
flexible code coloring and code coloring for Smarty; Cons: $200 cost,
limited support for js and css syntax errors, code completion, etc.

2. Eclipse with PDT (8/10): Pros - code completion, php api and javadoc
support; Cons - Slow running, limited support for js and css, sometimes
buggy, debugger is tricky to set up.

3. Aptana Studio (standalone) (7/10): Pros - Awesome support for js and
css, good php api and javadoc support; Cons - Slow running, weak code
completion support, debugger is tricky to set up, tricky to plug into
Eclipse properly to get PDT features.

4. Zend (6/10): Pros - Awesome support for php code completion, php api
and javadoc, debugger can be setup remotely on production sites; Cons -
limited support for js and css, debugger is tricky to setup.

At my current job, I use both Eclipse and Aptana...and Notepad++ :)

- Ken Snyder