[thelist] DSpam for the rest of us? (was RE: WhyDoesSpamAssassinHate America? (Or at least justme?))

Chris Anderson Chris at activeide.com
Sat Apr 5 13:24:36 CDT 2008

> > http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
<http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/>

> > It doesn't work with Exchange (in that it's not a
> > server-based tool), but does with Outlook (so emails will be
> > in your Inbox - but will then get filtered as soon as the
> > client connects to the server)
>
> It appears, though, that it works with Exchange/Outlook *in a POP3
> environment* as opposed to a local mail server, which is probably why
> didn't go with it when I investigated it a couple years ago.

Not totally true.
It works on the client, so emails are received and stored by the
Exchange server as normal.
When the client connects, it waits a short (configurable) time, then
starts looking through the recently received emails looking for spam,
acting upon any it finds (with that action being either deleting or
moving depending on configuration)
Then whenever new emails arrive, it immediately scans it.

However it *is* a client app, so if you access Exchange over OWA, the
spam will be there.
Also if you use different client machines, even with Spambayes installed
on both, the learning experience of each will differ (unless you miove
all spam to a folder which you then use periodically to "train" them
both.

My personal preference would also be a server-based filter for many
reasons (all emails will be scanned rather than just those people with
Spambayes installed, spam never gets seen by you even if using OWA, etc)
I've just never found one yet :(