[thelist] UK, take credit card, bill in a month

Barry Woolgar barry at burnthebook.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 05:34:57 CDT 2008

John Allsopp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't know if the rules are different in the UK (but that's where we
> are) to the US, but I want to sell something off the page and offer a
> free trial period. I want to take the credit card details, not bill
> the user, and then bill them in 30 days.

Are you in a position to go down the route of a merchant bank account?
Secure Trading (and others I'm sure) allow you to change the number of days
between card authorisation and settlement, although I don't know what the
upper limit on this is. This way the card is validated/authorised up front,
and payment is automatically taken (or not, financial situation might have
changed) once the settlement delay is up. You can cancel the payment at any
time within this period without them being charged, but I don't know if
their account is 'shadowed' for the outstanding amount during this 30 days -
you'd need to investigate further as I haven't actually done this myself...
:)

Hope that helps

Barry

Checked by AVG.