[thelist] Query failed during a credit card transaction

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Wed Apr 16 12:48:43 CDT 2008

Hi folks,
The website I have been working on forever just went live, all is going
well, we have some sign ups via online credit card through authorize.net.

I enter the client info into a table and the transaction into the credit
card table with a foreign key being the client id,  with all the cc info we
need, last 4 digits of credit card, date, amount paid, etc and the primary
key, ID, is the invoice number. Then I do the credit card transaction and
update the cc transaction table with the transaction ID assigned by
authorize.net and assign the is_paid_through field in the client table.

So someone tried to sign up this morning, got into the database with client
information and into the credit card transaction table - but when the table
was being updated with the transaction ID, he got this error:
Query failed: Lost connection to MySQL server during query.
I actually don't know if the credit card transaction also failed or not
because you can't see transactions on authorize.net right away and who wants
to be on hold for 2 hours to wait to speak to someone there?. I have if
statements if the transaction fails on authnet, so it is not related to
that, I don't think.

First question - do I need to set up email to myself when DB errors happen?
And how should I approach this.
Second question, any guesses as to why this happened? Was it on the internet
connection of the person signing up or on the part of the web host
(godaddy)?

And other suggestions? This is a little scary to think about, losing clients
who can't complete the transaction.

Nan Harbison
481 Elm Street
Concord, MA 01742-2249