[thelist] E-Commerce set up - Thoughts?

Todd Richards todd at promisingsites.com
Wed Apr 16 16:07:42 CDT 2008

Hi Everyone -

I'm about to add a StoreFront e-commerce cart to an existing website.  It
will cater mostly to their membership, but eventually be opened up to the
public.  What I'm wondering is if there is any advantage adding the cart
inside the other site (www.domain.com/store), or creating it outside
(store.domain.com - as a separate site in IIS).  I will have a SSL cert for
the shopping cart, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not either
(If I blend the two together, then my SSL would then cover *.domain.com,
right, or would it be www.domain.com/store?)

I had originally planned on setting up it's own database to keep it separate
from the member's only website, but maybe it makes sense to incorporate it
in so that I can share information easily between the sites.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this before I started
working on it.

Thanks!

Todd