[thelist] E-Commerce set up - Thoughts?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:57:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Todd Richards <todd at promisingsites.com> wrote:

>  (If I blend the two together, then my SSL would then cover *.domain.com,
>  right, or would it be www.domain.com/store?)

An SSL certificate traditionally applies to a single host, e.g. *one of*
    store.example.com
    www.example.com
    example.com

You can get wild card certs that cover all of the above, *.example.com,
but they're more expensive.

By keeping the store as an application within the main site, you also
avoid issues with cookie paths, AJAX origin, etc.

>  I had originally planned on setting up it's own database to keep it separate
>  from the member's only website, but maybe it makes sense to incorporate it
>  in so that I can share information easily between the sites.

Will information in the store database duplicate information in the
current member DB? If so, there's a big vote for DRY  :-)

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com