[thelist] Setting PHP variables...

Dave Stevens evolt at davestevens.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 10:59:38 CDT 2008

Tris wrote:
> However on this server, I was getting error messages stating that the
> variable was not set.
> This only occurs when the main page requests a variable (eg
> $showMessage ) and it's not ben asigned..
> on other servers, it has just simply shown nothing, cause nothing was found...

Are you attempting to use a variable that has not been set yet, or do
you mean you are getting these errors when you first assign a value to a
variable?

Example:

<?php

echo "My value is $variable_value"; // This gives an error as
$variable_value is not set

$variable_value = "now set";
echo "My value is $variable_value"; // This outputs My value is now set

?>

OR

<?php

$variable_value = "first time for everything"; // You get an error
message here?

?>

Dave