[thelist] SEO: search results wildly different from Google to Yahoo

Brady Mitchell mydarb at gmail.com
Fri May 2 00:39:16 CDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 400PM, Joel D Canfield wrote:
> Why are the results so wildly different? Why does Yahoo not return the
> domain name words_I_searched_for_dot_com? It returns the dot net as
> the
> first result. Searching Yahoo for assuredhealth.com returns their
> site,
> but that's just one step above 'not web savvy' and I don't expect it
> happen.

Yahoo has paid inclusion, Google doesn't. When you search for
something on google, the sponsored results are clearly marked as such.
On Yahoo, there are some sponsored links clearly identified, but there
are others that are mixed into the organic listing. You can't pay to
be number one on a term, as far as I understand, but getting your site
into paid inclusion definitely makes a difference.

See http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/srchsb/index.php for more info on
paid inclusion.

I have no idea if this is the reason why your client's site isn't
showing up like it does on Google, but it could be playing into it.

Brady