[thelist] [OT] Hardware question about RAID...

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Wed May 7 11:26:01 CDT 2008

Tris, you can go two routes: software raid or hardware raid.

Software has the advantage (under linux anyway) of being standardized
and easy. If you decide to switch from Ubuntu to Fedora, your raid
will still work just fine. No drivers to worry about, no additional
hardware to worry about failing, etc.

The principle downside is that there is a CPU hit for the parity
calculations. On a moderately fast machine, it's not a big deal,
although if you are really going for serious write throughput, you
might not want to go this way.

Hardware cards are nice because they offload all of that work from the
machine. In some instances they can offer better performance, and you
can get them with large onboard RAM caches, and battery backups. The
downsides include cost, and drivers. If you decide to go hardware, I
highly recommend 3Ware cards.

-Pete