[thelist] Setting up Apache on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Jeffrey Barke jeffrey.barke at themechanism.com
Fri May 9 17:51:34 CDT 2008

Thanks, Hassan.

Note that I have no experience in setting up or running Apache locally.

> It's not clear to me what you're showing is in httpd.conf
> or .htaccess.

What I sent was in the httpd.conf. Most of it was there by default, I
simply added "/sites" to DocumentRoot and changed AllowOverride from
None to All in the two <Directory> settings.

> Regardless, have you run apachectl -t  and looked in your error log?

No. I'm not even sure where the error logs are on the Mac.

> Since I needed to get back on that horse anyway, I just downloaded
> and compiled 2.2.8 on my Mac (10.5.2) and .htaccess works fine with
> a simple Require user directive.

I don't know what the Require user directive is (though I could Google
it), however I didn't download or compile Apache, since it's installed
by default. I simply opened System Preferences > Sharing and enabled
Web Sharing. PHP 5 is also installed by default, so I opened
httpd.conf and uncommented the LoadModule command.

 From <http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/10761/enabling-htaccess-on-mac-os-x
 >:
"Not so, recently, but I ran into a big stumbling block when I
discovered OS X’s Apache comes pre-configured to ignore .htaccess files.

"So I’m not going to feel too bad about scratching my head for a
minute before realizing I should check to make sure the httpd.conf
file had support for .htaccess files enabled, but the second point,
and I know this thanks to Richard Rutter’s Clagnut, support must also
be enabled in the user’s http.conf file (located in /private/etc/httpd/
users/). For full details, go read Rutter’s enabling .htaccess in OS X
post."

The httpd.conf edits I showed you were done per this article: <http://www.clagnut.com/blog/350/

Jeffrey

—
Jeffrey Barke
Senior developer / information architect
theMechanism
New York
440 9th Avenue
8th Floor
New York, NY 10001-1631
e:	jeffrey.barke at theMechanism.com
w:	http://theMechanism.com
t:	+1 212 404 3150
f:	+1 212 404 3228

—

theMechanism is a multi-disciplinary design agency with offices in New
York, London and Durban, South Africa.