[thelist] Developing in Linux

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun May 11 14:10:18 CDT 2008

On 11 May 2008, at 18:50, Fred Jones wrote:

> Before I switch back, however,I just wanted to ask evolters if there
> is
> something I am missing here

1) Eclipse - just darn works on Linux, Win or OSX. Project before this
had a dev team spread across all 3, with the end result running on
Solaris. Score double for the language-specific plugins.

2) PHPMyAdmin - if you want to see and control what's going on with a
MySQL db and you don't want to use raw SQL (Hassan's right: CLI
rocks), then do it on the server!

3) To expand on the CLI thing - learning simple text processing (even
simple stuff like 'cat dbdump.txt | more' let alone grep, regular
expressions or Perl/Python processing) can save you massive tonnes of
time.
Suggest  you start with something like: http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html

Cheers
Martin