[thelist] Developing in Linux

Nick Brogna nick at wemakepretty.com
Mon May 12 14:54:43 CDT 2008

Server is intended for virtualizing server environments whereas
Workstation is geared more towards virtualizing on the desktop.
Server (ESX) is more enterprise-oriented and the hope is that by
giving way VMware Server people will end up upgrading to one of the
VMware Infrastructure packages (i.e. VI3 Foundation which starts at ~
$1700 for 2-socket system).

VMware Workstation is a complete desktop virtualization suite more
akin to Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion for OS X.

VMware Server runs on bare metal, VMware workstation runs in a host
Operating System.

Those are the differences I can think of off the top of my head.
(Funnily enough, I am swimming in this stuff this week as we're in
the initial planning stages of virtualizing our data center).

Cheers,

Nick Brogna

Senior Project Manager
Jepson Technologies, Inc.