[thelist] Developing in Linux

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue May 13 09:34:02 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Ken Schaefer <Ken at adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> Ah, the elitist command line snobs :-)

? Appreciating the value of a CLI is "elitist"? I'd love to hear the
rationale. Is it because only those of use with the latest, most
powerful computers and most expensive operating systems
can have one?  :-)

> Command lines tools are good for repetitive tasks, or things that can be highly automated.
>
> They are not necessarily so efficient for one-off, quick tasks

In my experience, just the opposite. It's the "one-off" situations where
there's likely no purpose-built GUI tool available to do the job.

> And lastly, Windows has something called "Powershell" now

Yeah, I know. Better late than never, I guess. And believe me, that's
by far the nicest thing I can say about it, but I'll hold that rant   :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com