[thelist] Call PHP file on table event?

Dave Stevens evolt at davestevens.co.uk
Thu May 15 08:28:19 CDT 2008

Hi list,

I am currently looking at streamlining/optimizing some processes within
a system for a client. The main core of the system's function revolves
around a set of database tables (MySQL 5.0) which store information to
be acted upon.

At present, a cron job runs every 2 minutes, calling a PHP script that
checks to see if there is new information within this table to be dealt
with and then performing various actions depending on that information.

What I was wondering was whether it was possible to cut a few processes
out of this loop and have the script run when there is an INSERT in to
the table?

Googling hasn't brought up anything on the subject for a couple of days,
so I am guessing this is not possible - but I thought I'd throw it open
to the considerable collective knowledge of thelist, just in case.

Thanks all,
Dave

---
http://davestevens.co.uk/blog