[thelist] onunload and applet scripting?

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Mon Jun 2 02:42:24 CDT 2008

Folks;

in case someone out here is into dealing with controlling Java applets
using JavaScript: I do have an applet offering (via JS interface) a
method to store its internal state in order to get it restored while
reloading it. So far, I do reload this state using a JS method
registered to the "onload=" attribute of the corresponding HTML page
the applet is embedded to, which works rather fine.

However the other way 'round (storing the configuration invoking a
similar method using the "onunload=" handler of said page) doesn't
work, for whichever reason. So far I am not sure whether this is an
issue of my applet or an issue of onunload itself, so asking: When
exactly does the function referred to in "onunload" get executed?
Before or after the page and its components have been unloaded? Or,
more notably here, before or after the applet component gets dumped?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Cheers,
Kristian