[thelist] Question about web conferencing software for web site.

Andrew Kuhry-Haeuser rewdand at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 12:14:23 CDT 2008

To anyone out there who can help,

I'm in the very beginning processes of creating a web site that will host a class I will teach. The class will be taught through a webconference that people can access through their personal computers. I don't have any experience in building web sites or in creating this sort of setup, but I'm figuring it out.

The webconference must have audio and video of me that the students will hear and see as well as audio for each of the students so that I can hear each of them and each of them can hear all the others. If I were able to provide a video picture of any student who wants to provide one, that would be even better. I would like the students and myself to access the webconference through the web site.

I'm trying to do all this as cheaply as possible. What software or hardware would be best? I would like it to be inexpensive, but in the end, reliability is most important.

The audio and video also need to be able to work well on just about anyone's computer. And I would like it to be as easy to use for the students as possible.

I would also like to have the ability to run the class from various computers and locations. What webcam could I easily attach to any computer?

If anyone can answer any of these questions or can send me to a place where I can get them answered, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

--T