[thelist] FireFox 3

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Wed Jun 18 11:43:16 CDT 2008

Wow, that is sobering to hear. I was JUST reading this article:

Firefox 3.0 Record Download Attempt Crashes Mozilla Servers
Mozilla hopes to successfully complete 5 million downloads of the Web
browser in 24 hours and set a Guinness World Record.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/browsers/showArticle.jhtml?arti
cleID=208700161

I was about to go get it. Maybe I will wait. Does it import your
bookmarks/favorites from 2.0? Do all the plug ins we know and love have new
downloadable versions that are compatible with 3.0?

Nan

Joel Canfield wrote----------------------------------------
Just installed it. Instantly regretted it.

Virtually none of the addons/plugins work (not unusual, just
irritating.) Plus, it overwrote my old version without asking or telling.
(Was that the default before? I don't remember.) Yes, I could have been more
careful. With FireFox, I didn't expect to have to cover my backside.

Some of the default behaviours are incredibly annoying. I start typing my
own web address in the address bar, and instead of going to the history and
matching me letter by letter, it does some random search as if it as
suddenly become smarter than me.

Overall look and feel fairly screams "Look! We're turning into Internet
Explorer!" I do not want to re-learn the browser from scratch after I've
spent two years customizing it to behave exactly as I wanted it to.

I hate it. I don't know how I can hate FireFox, but I do.