[thelist] FireFox 3

Gersten, John JGERSTEN at lchb.com
Wed Jun 18 11:47:21 CDT 2008

A beta version was included in Ubuntu distributions from mid-Spring onward and I encountered it there. Have to agree with Joel -- there wasn't a thing about any of the new bells and whistles that appealed to me, and none of the extensions on which I'm come to rely in FF2 were available (though that will likely change over time). The obtrusive presence of the "hyper" bar (the address bar on steroids Joel mentions) made me crazy. After about a week, I jumped through a few hoops to get rid of FF3 and replace it with FF2 and all my beloved extensions.

For what it's worth, you can turn off the hyper bar and have the address bar act as it did in FF2 and earlier. But the almost total lack of extension support was the deal-breaker. YMMV, of course, and I do applaud them for pushing the browser forward, even if I disagree with some of their particular choices.

And all that said, I had to work most of one day last week on a colleague's computer that only had IE6 available. Boy, did that experience make me appreciate *any* flavor of Firefox <g>.