[thelist] FireFox 3

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Wed Jun 18 12:17:44 CDT 2008

> I was about to go get it. Maybe I will wait. Does it import your
> bookmarks/favorites from 2.0? Do all the plug ins we know and
> love have new
> downloadable versions that are compatible with 3.0?

The only addons it *didn't* disable are FireFTP, ColorfulTabs, and PDF
Downloader.

Morning Coffee, the best addon/plugin/toy I've ever used, doesn't work.
Google Browser Sync, too. Not compatible with the new version. (I know
it's not their fault. I just want to know before I complete the install,
especially if it's going to wipe the old version where they *do* work.)

Quite a few addons I was using were turned off in the updated version.
Not incompatible, just turned off. I had to go turn them all back on.

It did import history and bookmarks. I'm mostly miffed about Morning
Coffee and the stupid address bar behaviour. When I start typing 'seth'
it should, as version two did, just find the first address in my history
that matches that text. Instead, it's so 'smart' that it searches my
entire history for every address which has that word in it.

Microsoft's biggest usability flaw is that the software always behaves
as if it's smarter than the user. I'm appalled and annoyed that FireFox
has chosen the same stupid arrogant behaviour.

joel