[thelist] Install MySQL on Windows Server 2003

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 03:08:39 CDT 2008

Someone setup for us a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition machine,
but doesn't know anything about MySQL, so I am trying to install it.
Actually someone else installed mysql-5.0.45-win32.zip and I ran the
instance config wizard and I got an error of "The service could not be
started" when I try to press "Execute" at the end. Wizard settings
are:

detailed configuration
server machine
multifunctional database
DSS/OLAP (I also tried OLTP but the results were the same I believe)
enable tcp/ip port 3306
enable strict mode
best support for multilingualism (this I do because we have data in Hebrew)
install as a windows service
NO enable root access from remote machines
NO create anonymous acount

I then installed mysql-essential-5.0.51b-win32.msi but got the same
results. I see in the Event Viewer "Default storage engine (InnoDB) is
not available" and I see in the Remove/Add Programs that Windows
Server 2003 Service Pack 2 is installed. I have seen that this may be
connected.

Any suggestions how I can make this work?

Thank you.