[thelist] Large Monthly File Imports and Exports

TJ iwebforums at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 19:14:56 CDT 2008

Chris,

The DO want to use JET/Access.  I am thinking this is not a good idea.  In
my tests, its choking on the data but it IS loading it all.  I think Access
is wrong, but they are writing the check...

Express versions of 2005/2008 say they are 4G file limits, which is OK for
this.  It is an internal tool, but MySQL has been ruled out.  They only have
1 "tech" guy and he's got way too much stuff to manage.  Adding MySQL is out
of the question unfortunately.

This must be automated such that no one needs to worry about anything other
than pushing "start" and getting notified when its done.

Any idea if SQL Server 2000 is still "for sale" legitamately?  I see them on
eBay but are these legit copies?  I know MS still supports 2000 until 2013 I
believe.  If I could get a copy of SQL 2000 I could whip up some DTS
packages and install it on their box in no time and they'd be very happy.
I'd even try to slap an Access front end - though VB would do the trick just
as well.

Thanks Chris!

Anyone else?