[thelist] setting the home page on your browser

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Mon Jul 14 17:33:00 CDT 2008

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I love the sense of humor Evolters have. I laughed out loud.
:-)

The site is like a hotjobs for consultants, subscription based, so
consultants can post themselves as available for consulting jobs and
companies can post projects they need done. We just went live a few months
ago, and are getting a decent sign up rate considering how much has been
spent on advertising. We need more companies to join though. But anyway, I
can't think of one reason anyone would have it set as their home page....

Thanks again.
Nan

> give me some
> reasons why I should tell my client this is a bad idea.

that depends entirely on the site's content. answer the question why a
visitor would want to see their site multiple times a day. if the the answer
is "they wouldn't" then suggest that they don't waste their money paying you
to make it happen.

of course, if the website is WinFreeMoney.com or GenuinelyHonestNews.com,
well, maybe folks would indeed want it to be their home page. (we just
entered the realm of my own personal cluelessness if that's what really
happens)

joel

Reason: 1997 is over.
Reason: Every browser does this differently and you need to change it every
time there is a new one (check the "Make Y! your home page" link at
http://www.yahoo.com/)
Reason: Users do not like to be told what to do. Especially inexperienced
internet users are very happy to start with a web page that offers them a
lot of choices of things they are looking for - this is why Yahoo, MSN and
Apple still have start pages and every ISP offers them.
Reason: Without scripting, nothing happens
Reason: This is one link that clutters the interface even more - the more
links you have on a page the less worthy of indexing the page appears for
google
Reason: because you tell them so, they pay you as the expert to build their
web site

If you need proof, google for set as homepage script - every link will say
you need IE5+ to support this functionality and that is a sign that there is
something very outdated going on.

Christian