[thelist] Google analytics slowdown (was "GoDaddy SSL Verification")

Gersten, John JGERSTEN at lchb.com
Thu Jul 17 09:32:49 CDT 2008

This reply reminded me of a question I've had for a while relating to the embedded Google analytics scripts.

On numerous sites I have visited in the past months (including but not limited to those I manage), I have noticed occasional delays where the page will not load -- the screen remains blank and the status message at the bottom of the browser window reads "waiting for Google analytics." These delays can sometimes come to as much as three or four seconds (I know that's essentially trivial, but sometimes those few seconds s-t-r-e-t-c-h out in the mind).

Anyway, my question is this: as more and more sites move onto the Google analytics program, could a problem on Google's end at some point render all these pages inaccessible?

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a point where a browser will finally move past a call from a javascript to a third-party site (Google) and resume rendering the original page? Or does using such a script make it possible for your site to become unreachable because of a problem at Google?