[thelist] Item Description Field

Marc Cantwell marc.cantwell at chinookmaterials.com
Tue Jul 22 19:29:55 CDT 2008

I am trying to figure out how to design a database that has items that
contain other items (a basic kit or BOM).  In that, I need to be able
to reference the item description of the child items in the parent
item.  A further complication is that each item is associated with an
item category.  Each item category has unique fields that when
concatenated represent the item description.  I have no idea how to
diagram this.

Ex.
Item Name		Item Description										Qty				Item Category
Item1			Double 3-0 x 7-0 1 1/4 SC Primed 7 1/4 FJP Jamb		1				Finished
Wood Door
Item2			3-0 x 7-0 1 1/4 SC Primed								1				Door Leaf
Item3			7 1/4 FJP Jamb										1				Jamb

In terms of Quanitities Item1 takes 2 of Item2 and 3 of Item3.

Item1 takes the concatenation of Item2's description (category Door
Leaf first followed by item category Jamb)

Item Category Door Leaf requires a number of fields that are
concatenated into the item description they are:
Door Type : Double, Single, Pocket, Bypass, Bi-fold
Width: 3-0 (three feet 0 inches)
Height: 7-0
Thickness: 1 1/4
Door Core: SC
Door Finish: Primed

Item Category Jamb requires a number of fields that are concatenated
into the item description are:
Jamb Thickness: 7 1/4
Jamb Material: FJP

There are more characteristics for each of the Item Categories, but I
only selected a few for purposes of example

In order to design this properly, I need to know what tables I need,
and what the primary and foreign keys are?  I'm kinda stumped.

Thanks,
Marc

--Disclaimer--Chinook Materials-- This message (including any
attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-
public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Although steps
have been taken to check for viruses, the recipient(s) should also
check to ensure messages are virus free.