[thelist] form not getting submitted to email, only sporadically

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:28:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Nan Harbison <nan at nanharbison.com> wrote:

> Can you point me to a resource to see how to do this, I know nothing about
> this sort of thing. The website is hosted on godaddy, I don't host sites.

> Have you looked for errors in /var/log/maillog (or whatever it is on the
> system in question)?

mmm. If this isn't a VPS, you may not have access to the mail log, in
which case you should probably ask if they can send you the entries
from a couple of times when the problem occurred.

> I would probably add a statement to log to a file each time the file is
> loaded, and each time it's sent; that'll help you look through the mail log
> for failing instances...

Just basic PHP, open a file somewhere (for appending) and write a
line with the time and whatever info seems appropriate.

I'm not familiar with PHPMailer but if you have a log entry showing
the form being loaded followed by one showing it being submitted,
followed by one showing a successful exit from PHPMailer, you'll
have a lot more to go on...

Maybe somebody who actually uses PHP regularly will share an
example of how they would do it  :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com