[thelist] social media sites

Stephen Allen sda2 at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Aug 20 16:03:04 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:59:26PM -0500, Robin Hastings wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
>

> > I took a look at the powerpoint.  That really was a lot of work.  I
> > appreciate the link.  I also appreciate both positive and negative
> > feedback from all who responded so far.  I missed craigslist.org;
> > although not originally designed as a social media site, for other
> > reasons, I should have put it on the list.  reddit was on my original
> > list, but failed in the transfer to my email.
> >
> > What is the craze about Flickr?  Is it because it's a super facilitator
> > or other?
> >

> Yes, it was, but I really got paid a lot of money for it, so it all
> evened out in the end... ;) I hadn't considered craigslist as a 2.0
> site either, but I guess it does fit the bill, doesn't it? Flickr is
> incredibly useful for webby types because it takes any type of image -
> not just jpeg pictures - and allows you to share, tag and get comments
> on them pretty easily. Posting a design draft on Flickr (with
> appropriate "who can view" limitations) and getting viewing stats,
> comments and other goodies - for free - makes it a really nice tool
> for me. It's also pretty tightly integrated into most blogging
> platforms so it's nice to use as an image storehouse if you do a fair
> bit of blogging.
> That's why *I* use it - your mileage may vary, of course!!

Well, in that case one should probably mention Google's Picassa. AFAIK it does everything FLICKR does just as
well. I use both, and for some reason I prefer Picassa. There's a nice plugin for Firefox that will handle
uploads to several image sharing sites, FLICKR and Picassa just 2 of them.

 --
Regards,
S.D.Allen