[thelist] Backing up linux machine

Ron ronr at linuxdude.com
Tue Aug 26 21:02:17 CDT 2008

rsync does it all

rsync -av --delete /www /backups/www (be sure to understand what
trailing back slashes mean to rsync)

I know of no reason you can't use the NTFS mounted partition

other rsync commands to add as needed

--exclude-from=/etc/rsync.exclude
--numeric-ids

in a script you can do something like this
#!/bin/sh
date=`date +%A-%H`
# the hour only matters if you need it (I backup every six hours in some
cases)
rsync -av --delete --backup --backup-dir=/backups/rsync-recycle/$date
/www /backups/www