[thelist] html custom / hex characters

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Sep 1 14:52:41 CDT 2008

Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:26:23AM -0600, Bob Meetin wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a URL for a site that list custom characters (hex or other)
>> that work in all COMMON browsers?  Some really would be nice characters
>> fail in IE... go figure.  I have googled a bunch of sites but not found
>> exactly what I want.  Here is an example of what I am referring to:
>>
>> http://dottedi.biz/tools/html_custom_chars.php
>>

> First, if you send your pages encoded as utf8 do you need to use
> entities?  Are there any current browsers that do not support utf8?
>
> Second, is it the browser that renders the characters, or the
> available fonts (glyph?) on the user's system?

I think Paul responded that they are displaying for him in IE, so
presumably there are some defaults that may be different from install to
install.   My goal here is to have at my fingertips a base set of these
entities or hex characters as they're known that will display on
virtually any computer.

There are times I would rather use these characters rather than an image
- arrows and checkmarks are perfect examples.  If I need to change the
header info to ensure them working that works for me.  In addition to
what Ben email I also found http://www.cityofstrife.net/hexcodes.html.

--
Bob