[thelist] Website promotion - basic steps

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:48:25 CDT 2008

Any ideas for mo' betta promotion?

Content is the king.

Do you think google gives utmost (as we developers think it should)
importance to SEO?

Well the hard fact is, it does not.

Don't get me wrong: Google does give importance to well structured, semantic
markup. But that's only the beginning.
It's just the tip of the iceberg.

Have you ever checked any google application with w3c validator?
You'll be amazed that even a single search form (google home page) contains
dozens of validation errors.

What google gives importance (aside from backlinks) is fresh, unique and
helpful content.

Try launching a targeted blog and tell the organization's CEO to update it
at least weekly -- with anything that is important;
be it a post on how to manage your time effectively, or the organization's
most recent business success.

You'll be amazed how your unique visitors increase in several months.

Hope that helps,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+> Senior Web Application Developer, VeriPark