[thelist] Website promotion - basic steps

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 02:32:03 CDT 2008

On 5 Sep 2008, at 03:44, April Lyall wrote:

> If you do start using CPC, be sure to have good analytics on the site,
> such as Google Analytics, so you can accurately say when/where the
> money
> you spend is worth it.

Also, remember that your key metric is probably *not* number of
clicks, or cost per click; it'll be *cost per identified lead*, or
*cost per sale* or something that directly relates to business outcomes.

When I was running adwords, I was finding that the adspace sweet spot
for cost per new customer wasn't Google's 1st page, but the 2nd or
3rd; money spent boosting the position beyond that brought more
numbers, but they were less well qualified, and cost more to convert.

But, importantly, do your own testing.

Cheers
Martin