[thelist] PHP database application framework

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Wed Sep 10 12:08:32 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 12:19, John Corry wrote:
> Maybe framework was the wrong word. Perhaps I'm looking for an
> application 'skeleton'...a library of code that already does all of the
> required stuff for a DB app.
> Tell it what database to use, it looks at the tables and creates PHP
> classes for working with each one, forms/views for the users to
> browse...basically the barebones app that I can then modify to suit the
> specific application.

That is usually termed 'scaffolding' and is available as a part of Cake and
Symphony and RoR and other MVC frameworks (but not Zend). But like real
scaffolding on a building, it is just there during construction - you don't
expect the general public to access the building with it. But you can start
with it and modify to taste.

It's also good for impressing the boss with what you can do in 10 minutes.