[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 01:31:41 CDT 2008

On 12 Sep 2008, at 07:10, Zachary Kent wrote:

> Anyway, I would like to discuss the merits of
> hand-rolling a CMS that I would use for these clients vs using an
> open-source or commercial.  Is there some advantage to creating
> one?  I want
> to explore this before I jump into coding... er... requirements
> gathering.

Generally, the good reasons for doing so are:
1) Learning
2) The fun of doing so
3) Vanity
4) The almost never-occurring situation whereby the requirements are
entirely unique and can't be satisfied by an Off the Shelf CMS +
modules. In which case, you're probably better off writing a module
because the basic content/authentication stuff is handled by the core
CMS.

And in all the above cases, you're better starting with some kind of
application framework anyway.

Cheers
Martin