[thelist] CMS: opensource or hand-roll?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 16:41:07 CDT 2008

On 19 Sep 2008, at 17:36, Zachary Kent wrote:

>  I have heard lots of opinions on both sides.

Presumably the vast majority of them were offlist; the onlist comments
consisted of:

1) Christie spewing out of date FUD
2) Lots of people saying that OTS SW works really well either as is,
or with customisation,
3) Quite a few recommendations of OTS, chiefly for Drupal and its
module system
4) Your quite bizarre desire to create a CMS from scratch anyway.

As I said right back at the start, sure go ahead, have fun. No-one's
going to ban you from doing it.

But do try to work out how much coding effort has gone into those OTS
offerings to get them to the current level of maturity, and then ask
yourself how many orders of magnitude a better/more efficient coder
you're claiming to be if you think you can produce something
comparable in a workable length of time.

Cheers
Martin