[thelist] hiding email addresses

Christie Mason cmason at managersforum.com
Sat Sep 20 10:17:05 CDT 2008

If the email address must be displayed then something you can do to
alleviate the spam is to make sure they're using a hosting/email service
that has robust spam filtering and then set those filters as high as you
practically can for that email address.

Most of the time customers don't understand the benefits of using a contact
form.  I've found that explaining to the client that using a contact form
means that they can save the contact request in a db, using methods that
protect against injection and XSS etc attacks,  and then generate reports
for that info makes them more receptive.  Another explanation that's worked
is to tell them how using a form allows them to control/augment the
subject/message info so your client can see which site and which page
generated the contact request.  Sometimes the context of the request makes a
difference.

Also if you use a form, please make sure you send the requestor a copy of
the email that's generated. It's a pet peeve of mine to fill out a form and
not get a copy of the email. Without a copy of the email, I can't prove that
I did fill out a request and when that request was sent.

Christie Mason